"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Leisure?

Spent yesterday doing tons of laundry (two dwellings' worth because we've got the cottage linens as well), writing and submitting a couple of articles (48-hours before deadline, I proudly note!), dithering about when to bring deck and porch plants into the house, making lunch dates, ordering a new houseplant via telephone, setting constituent appointments, researching upcoming scenes of the novel, thinking about my upcoming guest blogging stint.

All across our state yesterday, temperature records were smashed. It got up to 80 and above in places. Today it's in the 70's with blustery winds--so long, pretty leaves!--and the mercury is dropping fast. It put an end to my dithering, and I spent part of this morning bringing plants inside. I'll spend part of the afternoon working out where to place them....I've got so many. And another on the way.

I finally had the discipline to deal with my legislative email...permanently deleted 490 deleted messages, 25 at a time. How do I hate thee, Outlook? Let me count the ways! I still need to do something about the 220 inbox messages. I've answered the ones that required it, but I haven't yet separated the constituent contacts from the rest. Not really a priority right now.

On the schedule today: writing, more laundry, mandolin practice (first lesson coming up this week!), registering for a novelists' NY conference, menu planning (dinner guest on Thursday), and a romping session with the young dogs.

Recently it occurred to me that at least a fortnight had passed since I'd had any crabcakes. The Chap was dining out that night, between meetings, so I could please myself. So I made crabcakes.



I've noticed that on Kitchen Nightmares, when Gordon first arrives at a restaurant he always orders crabcakes (if listed on the menu.) I wonder whether it's a favourite of his or, more likely, it's a good test of a chef's skill. I'm rather fussy about crabcakes myself. Not sure how mine would rate with Gordon, but I was pleased.


No comments: