"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween!



The only jack o'lanterns I've decorated are the ones pictured above. No sharp and terrifying knives, no messy punkin guts.

There's not a speck of candy in the house. Every year I buy it in bulk, and nobody shows up. (In our forest, the population of active trick or treaters had diminshed over the years. Now we've got none.) Had I taken the risk, made the investment, purchased the candy, I'd have got stuck with it. And would've been forced to eat it myself. All by myself (the Chap's away at a conference).

I did dress up for Halloween...

as a State Legislator!

Boo!!!

(Some people, I know, think we're scary.)


This morning I attended a Freshmen House Members' Coffee and Chat hosted by the Majority Leader, an Asst. Majority Leader, and Majority Office Staff. (We had Halloween cookies, too!) Then we and many other reps and senators went to a luncheon at which we were fed sandwiches, more Halloween cookies, and information about the predatory and usurious Pay-day and Auto-Title Lending business. Plenty of horror stories to creep us out. Not sure I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Last night I attended a Board of Selectmen's meeting in one of my district's towns. Apparently there are or were bats in the Town Hall--but none of them showed up. (I was hoping....) Rumour has it that they flew over to the Police Station where the gaps in the roof are bigger. Or was it because the furnace works better?

If they'll let me, maybe I'll dress up the dogs. And take pictures.


No comments: